Duly noting a number of things I’m thankful for this year:
- My enduring family, surviving and thriving as African-Americans in the US. Special remembrance for my Aunt Gracie who passed away this summer after a long battle with cancer. She went to work for NASA straight out of high school and served the country for 38 (!!) years. Her eulogy highlighted some of the BS she overcame but I never knew about. I’ll always remember her as a faith filled, uplifting spirit.
- Widely scattered friends, who nevertheless helped me get through a very challenging year.
- The continuing gift of my education, focused and funded by my parents, that keeps opening up opportunities of all sorts, especially chances to help others.
- Interesting, challenging, and impactful employment.
- Eight years of President Obama, an intelligent, even keeled, leader who did the office proud.
- That I actually have a lot to be thankful for. There are many out there struggling to find even a tiny morsel of hope.