A long time ago I vowed to kill my commute. I was a bit off on predicting the closing date, but it’s looking like that time has really arrived. In spades.
I’ll save the details for another post, but last Friday I out processed at the previous gig. The next position is located between 10 and 15 minutes of driving from my house, with no interstate highways to travel. There’s also a lot of schedule flexibility and plenty of opportunity to work from home.
And to top it all off, I have enough runway and flexibility to not start until after the 4th of July. Looking at a good two months where I completely drive the daily activities, modulo family obligations. Herewith, some things that I plan to at least initiate with the time off and thence establish momentum and habits:
- Spend more time with family
- Initiate and maintain an exercise routine
- Read more books
- Blog more
- Move this blogging infrastructure to a more modern hosted VPS
- Modernize my development skills by well, actually writing code, using an Integrated Development Environment (IDE), and unlimbering my distributed version control (DVCS, read Git) skills
- Catch up with the “cloud native” ecosystem including Kubernetes, Docker, NATS, etc.
- Really get into Jupyter ecosystem
- Reintroduce myself to some old big data friends like Spark, Kafka, AWS, and GCP
Definitely ambitious and not exhaustive. Feels like a lot to do, so I better get to it.